Survey Party Chief
Moore Bass Consulting – Tallahassee, Florida
Moore Bass Consulting is a growing, well-established civil engineering and surveying firm providing consulting services throughout the southeast. Our professional services include Civil; Environmental; Land Surveying; Land Planning; Landscape Architecture; and Construction Administration.
Moore Bass Consulting has an opening for Survey Party Chief in our Tallahassee, FL office. Under the direct supervision of a PLS.
General Description: The Survey Party Chief will supervise all members of a survey crew performing construction stakeout and associated preliminary topographic surveys, boundary, topography, ALTA, right of way, and construction stakeout for public and private clients.
- Must have extensive experience in Highway (FDOT & Municipal) stake out.
- Daily coordination with field coordinator, project managers and other office staff.
- Work in a safe manner and obey all safety regulations.
- Work independently as a one-person crew as required.
- Daily uploading and downloading of data collectors.
- Daily care and charging of survey instrumentation.
- Continually advance knowledge with upgrades in technology and equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to read construction plans.
- Standard application of surveying techniques and procedures.
- Use of survey equipment, including GPS, Robotic Total Station and Scanners
General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires demonstrable previous experience as a Survey Party Chief. A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees. Five (5) years or more of Construction layout related experience is required for this position, with an emphasis on roads, highways, and bridges.
- Highly proficient in mathematics and measurements
- Knowledge of survey ethics and technical standards
- Highly proficient in construction procedures
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong leadership qualities
- Ability to read and organize field notes
- Ability to execute field staking
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel when necessary
- Managing other surveying field staff work and interface with other disciplines as needed
- Communicate and coordinate efforts and ideas
Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by a Survey Party Chief to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constant physical effort, including standing, is required during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day. Employee must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and to stoop, bend, and crouch as required to perform Key Duties.
- Ability to lift and carry, on a frequent basis, at least 50-90 pounds personally, and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
- Capable of being certified to enter confined spaces, including climbing into and out of excavations up to 15 feet in depth, using ladders or crawling, as required.
- Ability to maintain balance while working on water craft or other surfaces.
- The survey instrument crew member must be able to climb on and off heavy mobile equipment safely.
Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that a Survey Party Chief encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
- Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
- Employee regularly works in close proximity to high volumes of fast moving traffic.
- Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
What makes Moore Bass Consulting a great place to work? Opportunities for professional development, strong benefits and compensation packages. We are a firm with extremely knowledgeable professionals who serve as trusted advisors to our clients. Visit www.moorebass.com to learn more.
Some of our many benefits include:
- Health, Wellness, and Work/Life Benefits
- Superior Health and Dental Insurance Programs
- Voluntary long-term disability insurance
- Company paid life and AD&D insurance
- Flexible Spending Account – medical and dependent care
- Condensed Summer Season work schedule
- Financial & Retirement Benefits
- Generous base compensation and bonus plan
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Paid time off, Holidays and other leave
- Generous annual leave policy for personal, vacation, sick and bereavement purposes. Eligibility begins upon hire
- 6 company paid holidays annually
- Professional Development Benefits
- Employer provides on-line professional development hours and continuing education credits
- College tuition reimbursement programs (Graduate & Undergraduate)
- Employer pays Professional License renewal fees
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $25 to $33 per hour (based on experience)
Please note, sponsorship is not available for this position. Moore Bass Consulting is a Drug-Free Workplace & E-Verify Participant